How to Change from Investment Loan to Owner Occupied

Can I change investment property to primary residence?

Moving from an investment loan to an owner-occupied one involves financial considerations. This shift entails converting a property initially purchased for investment purposes into a primary residence. The process necessitates careful assessment of loan terms, tax implications, and lender requirements. While the transition can offer potential benefits such as lower interest rates and favorable lending terms, it demands a comprehensive understanding of the mortgage landscape. This article delves into the strategic steps and intricacies involved in changing the status of a loan, equipping borrowers with insights to navigate this transformation effectively.

To switch an investment loan to an owner-occupied loan, you will typically need to follow these general steps:

  •  Review loan terms and conditions: Carefully examine the terms and conditions of your existing investment loan to understand any restrictions or requirements for switching to an owner-occupied loan. This may include checking if there are any penalties or fees associated with the switch.
  • Contact your lender: Reach out to your lender to discuss your intention to switch the loan from an investment loan to an owner-occupied loan. They will provide you with specific guidance and requirements for the process.
  • Provide updated information: The lender may require you to provide updated information, such as proof of residency, income verification, and other documentation to support the change in loan purpose. Prepare the necessary documents as requested by the lender.
  • Loan application process: Depending on the lender's policies, you may need to go through a formal loan application process to switch the loan purpose. This may involve completing a new loan application and providing the required supporting documents.
  • Property valuation: In some cases, the lender may require a new property valuation to determine the current market value of the property being used as security for the loan.
  • Loan assessment: The lender will assess your application, including your financial situation, credit history, and the updated loan purpose. They will determine if you meet their criteria for an owner-occupied loan.
  • Loan approval and terms: If your application is approved, the lender will provide you with the new loan terms and conditions, including the interest rate, repayment schedule, and any associated fees or charges. Carefully review and understand the terms before accepting the loan offer.
  • Settlement and documentation: Once you accept the loan offer, you will need to complete any necessary settlement processes and sign the required loan documents. This may involve legal and administrative procedures, such as mortgage documents and loan agreements.
  • Transition process: Coordinate with your lender to ensure a smooth transition from the investment loan to the owner-occupied loan. They will guide you on any required steps, such as closing the investment loan account and opening the new owner-occupied loan account.
Transitioning from an investment loan to an owner-occupied one demands thoughtful planning and informed decisions. By comprehensively evaluating financial goals, lender conditions, and potential tax consequences, borrowers can make a smooth and strategic shift. The journey involves meticulous steps, but the potential benefits, including improved loan terms and financial flexibility, make the process a rewarding endeavor for those seeking to transform their property's purpose and financial landscape. Is it possible to convert an investment property into a primary residence? Transforming your rental property into your primary residence requires a formal declaration for tax purposes. Essentially, you need to inform that your investment property is now your primary place of residence (PPOR). This change necessitates a clear acknowledgement of your property's altered status and its associated tax implications.

Ready to speak to an adviser?

Talk to an expert